Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Blog 3 Puenntedura's SAMR model

Watching Puentedra's SAMR model in itunes took a little work.  I was really glad he had illustrations because he talked so fast and was a little hard to understand.
The SAMR model stands for Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, and Redefinition.
He stated that the most learning came in the last two stages.

Substitution: This is where technology is just a substitution with no functional change.  This makes me think of when I use iBooks with my students.  We have several ebooks on each iPod for the students to read.  This is just a substitution for the real thing-a book.  I do enjoy having these ebooks because they don't get lost in the kids desk and open up to where they last left off.  I don't have to worry about kids tearing the pages of the books.

Augmentation: Technology acts as a direct tool substitution with functional improvements.  The really cool thing about iBooks is that kids are able to highlight a word and get a quick definition of the word. I often have my students stop and discuss what they thought something meant, we then can use the define tool in iBooks to quickly find the meaning.

Modification: Technology allows for significant task redesign.  This is where real learning starts to improve.  If we were reading a book on nocturnal animals, my students can then go into researching a nocturnal animal of their own and start gathering information for a report or project on a specific animal.  They would use edmodo to receive their assignment(and turn it in).  Projects can be done in either pages, or of course my favorite iMovie.

Redefinition:  Students would be able to either produce their own movie on which would be shown to the class and shared with parents and family members.  Children can also produce their own books on nocturnal animals which can be published and shared with the class.


I tried to use the tools that I use or will use with my class.  I used to think that since I taught second grade there wasn't a lot of technology I could use with them.  As I am trying more and more to integrate technology in my everyday teaching I am surprised as to how much I can use technology with young children.  They really love it and learn so quickly.  Now I'm just trying hard to keep up with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment