Friday, August 2, 2013

Game and Lesson Plan

 I spent a lot of time looking for that "perfect" game to show everyone.  I don't have access to a computer lab or computers in the class.  What I do have (soon) is iPad minis for each student in my class.  Because I will be working with iPad minis instead of computers I looked for apps that I could use. I decided that since learning to write(and create) at an early age is important, I would highlight a writing app.
 Of course I found many apps but the one that I using for today is one that I have used in the past.  This will be the first time that I have done a lesson plan for it.  The app toontastic is free but it has a lot of in app purchases.  The free version is great to get you introduced with toontastic but you may want to eventually buy the full version.
 This is a sample video about toontastic.  They used the Shrek version, but I like the original one better.  The second sample shows how to start using toontastic.






Game: Toontastic
Grade: 2
Objective: Students will plan a story using the
Storyboard Template then animate their
stories in Toontastic. Finally, students will
use their storyboards and cartoons to craft a
final written draft of their stories.

 Materials: iPads
Toontastic app
computer/projector to show off students works to the class


Start: Begin the lesson by asking students to discuss what makes a great story.  Together, make a list of great stories. Then, create a chart of characteristics of a great story for students to refer to during the lesson. Finally, read a book with a good storyline, such as Dogku by Andrew Clements, Frog and Toad Together by Arnold Lobel, or Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey. After reading, discuss with students if and why the story was good.

Next, pass out the Toontastic Storyboard Template for pre-writing.




 Students should complete the outline before animating their stories. Allow studnets to share ideas if time permits. Finally, have students animate their stories in Toontastic. Be sure to point out the importance of choosing an emotional energy level for each scene.
After animating their stories, have students craft a final written draft of their story.  Remind students to look back at both their templates and cartoons as they write their final drafts. Encourage students to think about how these pre-writing activities help their stories.
To wrap up the project, upload students’ cartoons to ToonTube and host a story premier for students and parents.
During the premier, have students read the final drafts of their written work and share their cartoons.  Encourage students to reflect on each others’ writing and cartoons. Remind students to connect their critiques back to the characters of a great story they identified at the start of the lesson.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for posting this Toontastic template! I am using Toontastic with my Grade 3/4 class. We have all gotten comfortable with the app, and we are now ready to plan our stories. This organizer will tie in very well!

    ReplyDelete